The Copenhagen Philharmonic Orchestra traces its roots back to 1843, when H.C. Lumbye became the first music director of the Tivoli Concert Hall Orchestra - consisting of 22 musicians - upon the opening of The Tivoli Garden.
 
Since then, the orchestra has grown to a full-size symphonic body, which continues to play concerts for a large domestic and foreign audience in Tivoli each summer.
 
Until the beginning of the 1960s the orchestra was primarily active during the summer season - as The Tivoli Orchestra - but in 1965 the legal and financial base was established for activities around the year: during the summer season performing as The Tivoli Symphony Orchestra and during the winter season, as the Copenhagen Philharmonic.