Michala Petri Discovers the New World in Four Bold
East Meets West
The Copenhagen Philharmonic Orchestra
The Copenhagen Philharmonic Orchestra traces its roots back to 1843, when H.C. Lumbye became the first music director of the Tivoli Concert Hall Orchestra - consisting of 22 musicians - upon the opening of The Tivoli Garden.
Since then, the orchestra has grown to a full-size symphonic body, which continues to play concerts for a large domestic and foreign audience in Tivoli each summer.
Until the beginning of the 1960s the orchestra was primarily active during the summer season - as The Tivoli Orchestra - but in 1965 the legal and financial base was established for activities around the year: during the summer season performing as The Tivoli Symphony Orchestra and during the winter season, as the Copenhagen Philharmonic.